WordPress is an open source Content Management System (CMS) used to publish and edit websites and/or blogs. Originally developed as a blogging platform, WordPress has dramatically developed over the years into what has become one of the most wildly popular and commonly used CMS’s in the world.
The primary role of a CMS like WordPress is to allow the average person to edit a website without needing much, if any, programming knowledge. Quite literally it is a system (online software platform) used to manage (create, modify, organize) website content (webpages, articles, blog posts, images, videos, etc). Using a simple set of toolbars, a user is able to modify and format text in a similar fashion to a text processing program like Microsoft Word, within an easily navigable graphical interface.
What it is
- An easy to learn, easy to use website platform
- Open source, and backed by a community of users and developers all actively working to better the software
- Relatively secure. Open source software is constantly under the scrutiny of the users and developers that work with it.
What it is not
- Solely a blogging platform. Virtually any website can be programmed into the WordPress environment
- Difficult to learn. Yes, WordPress has a learning curve, as does ANY piece of software. The learning curve, however, is relatively low and figuring out how to get around the WordPress environment takes little more than an afternoon of hands-on practice and a few YouTube tutorials.
Where to get started
If you have a little knowledge about the internet and are feeling particularly tech savvy, you can visit the official WordPress.org site to learn about all the ins and outs, and to access all the files needed to download and begin. If that is more than you are up to, feel free to contact us for any level of WordPress help — from simply installing it to your server and getting it up and running, to full-blown custom designed and programmed WordPress templates, we’re happy to help.
From there, take a look at our constantly evolving list of WordPress tutorials.